Did you know that, like chocolate, flowers can be extremely toxic to pets, with some flowers causing rapid death even if only a small amount is eaten. Lilies are particularly risky as all parts of the plant can contain a toxin that causes acute and severe kidney failure in cats. In fact, they are so poisonous to cats that even a tiny mouthful of a leaf or petal, or, indeed, pollen from a flower could be fatal. Other cut flowers and garden plants can also cause problems including Poinsettias, Daffodils, Foxgloves and Castor Oil plants. Though many pets are sensible and don’t attempt to eat plants, pups and kittens are particularly vulnerable, as are indoor cats which tend to investigate plants and flowers in the house.
Symptoms of poisoning include being off colour, vomiting, diarrhoea and collapse.
If pets are known to have eaten plants, chocolate or other poisons, or if they show these types of signs then please get in touch straight away so we can do our best to treat them. And, if you do have chocolate, flowers, medicines or other toxins in the house – please keep them away from your pets!